Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Some New Friends

spinach1
The spinach that I sowed last week have started to emerge. This particular variety of smooth leaf spinach called Space F1 is supposed to be very winter hardy. We shall soon put that to a test.

arugula 1
The wild arugula (Sylvetta) has also started to sprout. This is another hardy winter crop, the seeds of which are ridiculously tiny and difficult to manage. I'm glad that my direct sowings have germinated pretty quickly and consistently so far, MUCH better results than from the commercial (and dare I say it) non-organic potting mix I used earlier this summer for my fall transplants. It just goes to show that a little compost, greensand and rock phosphate applied to ordinary garden soil can outperform even the most sophisticated and engineered of commercial growing mixes.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your seedlings. Now is the crucial time to watch them grow.

    ReplyDelete