Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Fruit Propagation Update
The cranberry plants I divided earlier this year are putting on lots of new growth. I have about a dozen potted plants now from the two that I purchased three years ago. Strangely, they haven't produced many flowers (and hence, fruit) during this time. I wonder if there is something I should be doing that I'm not.
I also have seven raspberry plants that I grew from suckers taken from our old garden. After I potted them up, I placed them inside a sealed plastic bag for about a month until sufficient roots formed to support the foliage. I love this everbearing variety and was glad that they survived. They've since been moved to my community garden plot.
On the left-hand side are black and red currant hard wood cuttings that I took in early spring. I removed about half of the buds and applied some rooting hormone to the cut ends before potting them up and placing them into a sealed plastic bag for about 6 weeks. From the 6 cuttings that I took, 4 went on to root successfully. I imagine they all would have survived if I'd noticed that they'd become infested with whiteflies and tiny leaf-eating caterpillars while they were covered in plastic.
Soon, I plan on taking even more cuttings from from all of the fruit shrubs around our townhouse. It'll be a few years before we settle into a more permanent home. By then, I hope to have a ton of potted fruit shrubs ready to be transplanted.