Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cooking up the Harvest - Crab Cakes and Sauteed Spicy Asparagus

DSC_0146
I made this a while ago but never had a chance to blog about it.  One of my favorite things in the world is homemade lump crab cakes.  I've been making this recipe from Cooking Light magazine for years now and it's still one of my favorites - simple and delicious.  To get the biggest lumps of crab for this recipe, I usually buy whole dungeness crabs from the market and shell them myself.

On this particular occasion, I made a simple salad with some homegrown mizuna and some spicy sauteed asparagus (also homegrown).  To make the asparagus, brown a couple tablespoons of butter in a shallow pan on high heat.  Add the asparagus and toss.  Add some soy sauce and continue to saute for a couple of minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and the soy sauce appears somewhat caramelized.  At the very end, add a fair amount a fine chili paste and cook for a few more seconds.  This is my favorite way to prepare Asparagus and green beans (especially when I'm feeling lazy).

9 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds wonderful Thomas! Now I'm hungry for crab cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like an absolutely perfect meal. I adore crab cakes and tend to order them when eating out because I don't make them. Not sure why, but just not something I would think to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crab cakes too; especially when they are made with real crab (Rolling Eyes at so called restaurants). I'll have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Subway sandwich I ate while reading this post became less and less appetizing. I love crab cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks inviting. A great appetizer idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, I'm hungry. We make crab cakes using a similar recipe, sometimes with a dash of Old Bay. I'm jealous you can find Dungeness crab, I've never seen them around here (central MA).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iv'e never tried crab cakes, maybe its about time i did! And Iv'e never fried asparagus either(i love it steamed with butter and black pepper)but i do love spicy food so going to give your asparagus tip a go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM is right!!! Wow, great photo and how wonderful that so much of it came from your garden. Going to have to try that, we love good crab cakes. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete