Friday, August 12, 2011

Our First Ripe Cantaloupe

DSC_0010
We harvested our first two Athena cantaloupes today. I took a walk around the garden after work and noticed that the outside of the melons had changed from a grey green color to buff yellow, which is generally an indication of ripeness. I decided to give them a light tug; low and behold they easily separated from the vine.

The first one I cut open was perfectly ripe and deliciously sweet. Hopefully the second one will be as good.

DSC_0004
I'm rather disappointed by the fact that we could be enjoying twice as many cantaloupes right now if it weren't for the field mice. They've also eaten through every single Petit Gris french melon that set for me this summer. It's too bad the vines are suffering terribly from bacterial wilt right now and will have to be pulled soon. Oh well. Hopefully I'll get to taste this variety next year when all of my melons are trellised.

DSC_0005

DSC_0006
My only consolation is that the cantaloupe vines are still looking relatively healthy and are setting melons again. I counted at least four today. A couple of them show signs of rodent damage but I think they will recover. Hopefully if all goes well, we'll be able to pick a second crop in September.

14 comments:

  1. Sorry about your French melons, the cantaloupe looks very pretty and juicy. We ate our first cantaloupe yesterday, hopefully I get another one or two soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! My mouth is watering...

    Field mice kebabs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those damned rodents. At least they left you a few cantaloupes. How wonderful that you got to pick them at their best! I tried growing melons last year and the rodents got every single one. I didn't even try this year which is just as well since the rodents are worse this year and summer doesn't seem to want to happen - it got down to 42F the other night. In August. In coastal California. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad to lose your melons. Mine set a second crop too, but just two melons. I hope they make it to maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have gotten ZERO melons (plants are just now growing let alone setting fruit) and the squash and pumpkins are having difficulty setting any fruit as well (although growing fairly well now). This is a rather depressing year for the big items for me. I am hoping my corn harvest is wonderful to give me at least one "star" performer this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry. To see the fruit set and grow only to loose it is always a drag. Do you have a cat?

    We got ours in too late for a second crop this year. I hope the melons you still have do well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stupid mice. Glad to hear that you were able to have some ripe melons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, the ones you have there look awesome! My watermelons split wide open this year, I got nothin'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn those stupid field mice. I know the feeling. Stupid squirrels ate every single peach off my tree and every single bunch of grapes. Jerks! The melons you did harvest looks just mouthwateringly good. I must grow some next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some lucky mice to dining on your gourmet melons. What a shame for you though....glad you are at least enjoying a few home grown. They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that you'll be able to enjoy a second crop in Sept. or early Oct. Nothing takes as delicious as 'loupes on a nice fall day :)

    Your first shot made me put cantaloupes on my shopping list for the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on getting a delicious-looking melon! Ours have eluded us this year. Reason unknown...

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are define the good and healthy catnalope because the author has been good efforts in during the crop rotation then in the post has been define the more informative matter so that can know that.

    ReplyDelete