Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Our first order of business was to move one end of the fence enclosing the side garden eight feet closer to the growing beds. This section of the garden doesn't get much light and the area had become neglected and covered with overgrown grass and weeds. I started by marking where the fence was being moved to and dug a narrow trench. Cutting and pulling up this section of fence was much easier than I'd expected since the ground is still moist and loose.
Once the fence was in place, I closed off the cut ends and replaced the sod. In total, this job took about an hour. All that's left to do now is to lay down some cardboard and straw to kill this narrow patch of grass.
Next, I had to tackle the fence enclosing the back garden. I'd put it up hastily last summer and with all of the snow we had this past winter, it was in really rough shape. Taking it down was the easy part. Digging the perimeter trench, adding several more stakes and putting the fence back up took all afternoon.
Thankfully, I think it turned out pretty well. Now that the bottom six inches of the fence is buried, I doubt the rabbits will be able to break through this summer. And the extra polls should prevent the wire fencing from sagging.
I even got around to building a new door for the back garden. Now I won't have to leap over the fence like a crazy person.