Friday, September 18, 2009

Throwing Caution to the Wind

Ok, this is seriously becoming "food week" at A Growing Tradition, but I just felt COMPELLED to write this post. I just did a quick wander through Calamity Anne's blog and came upon a post in which she asks, "Have you ever put anything in your mouth [at a dinner party or social gathering involving food that is], and that as soon as it hit your tongue you knew you made a HUGE mistake?" Why yes, Calamity Anne, yes I have. And the tale that she proceeds to tell is one so brilliant and funny that I feel as though I have to do everything in my power to have it read. I don't care what nationality you are, what socioeconomic class you come from, what political or religious affiliation you belong to, we've all experienced this. The question becomes, what did you do about?

It's been a very long time since I've laughed this hard. I read her post during lunch and literally choked on my takeout vegetable lo mein. I encourage whoever is reading this to click here and read Calamity Anne's story.

P.S., If anyone out there would like to share a similar experience, please do!


  1. Ha, good read -- I was laughing and gagging at the same time, just reading her description. Thanks for the link!

  2. My mom makes pickled herring at Christmas, and I've finally developed a taste for it.

    But then again, I'm a bit more adventurous than just about anyone else I know. My last "ack, spit it out now" adventure was in a Masaai warrior camp in Tanzania, and they insisted I try a bite of roast goat. I don't even like lamb - never mind haunch of goat cooked over a brush fire, cut into chunks with a machete, the head still lying over there under a tree (at least I figured it was so fresh I didn't have to worry about lack of refrigeration). Anyway, I will try just about anything once - good thing we were outside. One chew, and I spit it out and tossed it into the bushes.

    BTW: welcome to the Co-op! I look forward to reading more from you, both here and there.