Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Straw Mulched Garden

DSC_0015
I realized the other week that the garden was looking rather untidy (to put it mildly) even for this time of year. We had a lot of rain during the past couple of months, which left the garden paths awfully muddy. The beds were covered in brown pine needles from our neighbor's trees and the weeds were a bit out of control as well.

This past weekend, I finally got my butt off the couch and did something it. Boy, what a difference a little straw makes to the overall look of a garden. A stirrup hoe (fast becoming one of my favorite gardening tools) also made weeding the entire garden a breeze, especially now that there aren't many veggie plants to maneuver around.

DSC_0028
This is also the first time I laid down some straw in the back garden. All in all, I think it looks good.

14 comments:

  1. Boy Thomas, your garden looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, but I'm surprised you're not putting any hay on the beds. No concerns about losing topsoil, making worms comfy or anything else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden makes me green with envy. But then I remember that I can grow satsuma trees in my garden and I feel a little better. :)

    But seriously- I can look at your garden pictures for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks brilliant. I tried using straw, but it had too many seeds and I ended up weeding even more than if I hadn't used it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. so beautiful and orderly looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, now if that's not inspirational, I don't know what is. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love the the look of freshly mulched paths. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have problems putting down hay because there are so many seeds in it. Sure does look nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The straw paths look wonderful. I'm just trying fall / winter gardening for my first time this year, but since I live in Washington state I had to make a hoop house and cool frame to protect my plants from freezing. I recently started a blog about my gardening. Would you mind checking it out and giving me any pointers, gardening or blogging-wise?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful garden, wish I had a green thumb, I'm just not talented in that way, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That straw really makes the garden pop...nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful garden. Nice collection of pictures are shared here. People are liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always so neat and tidy in your garden - an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete