Sunday, May 1, 2011

Last Harvest of April

DSC_0009
We're finally starting to get a good amount of greens from the garden now that the weather is heating up. I harvested the first of the Shanghai bok choy this week along with the first asparagus spears. All of my Asian greens are sizing up nicely and should provide for many meals in the coming weeks. The slugs have kept away for the most part (Sluggo has worked awesome so far) and I will start applying Dipel dust once a week now that the white butterflies are out.

I've also been surprised by how quickly the Asparagus spears are growing. They put on at least 4-6 inches of growth per day. If I forget to check on them, chances are there will be one or two that have grown too long and tough to eat. I'm looking forward to the crowns being even more productive next year and being able to harvest for a longer period of time.

DSC_0007
So I read a really interesting post about "mock broccoli" the other day and decided to clip a few flowering buds from my Red Russian kale to sample. (I have to thank one of my local MA readers for pointing this one out to me!) In it's raw state, the buds tasted pleasantly sweet and surprisingly a lot like broccoli. I decided to harvest all of them, which I then sauteed very quickly with a bit of butter for dinner. The results??? All I can say is "WOW!" It was like eating broccoli raab without any of the bitterness. The buds, stems and young leaves were sweet and very tender (unlike the stems and leaves on most mature kale).

The best part about harvesting the main flowering bud was that a couple days later, I went out into the garden and there were tons of side shoots. Who knew that overwintered Red Russian kale would offer this added bonus? Not me. Now I feel really silly about not harvesting my flowering kale before.

DSC_0022
Sadly, I did have to dig up all of my kale plants today in order to make room for my potatoes. However, I did manage to pick a good amount of leaves to freeze and also gave a ton to my next-door neighbor.

DSC_0029
Finally - the claytonia is still hanging in there. Even at this flowering stage, the leaves are delicious.

As a side note -I kind of regret deciding not to weigh my harvests this year as I'm sure the heavier numbers will slowly begin to roll in as the season progresses. Oh well. I might just weigh a select few crops this year like cukes, corn, tomatoes, zucchini, melons, peppers and potatoes. That way, I can at least have some figures to archive without feeling obligated to whip out the scale every time I pick something from the garden.

17 comments:

  1. So I have a question for you... I managed to get my hands on some Miner's lettuce, but I want to know more about how to make sure I have some NEXT year... do I let it go to seed? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!! (my email is in my blogger profile if it's not visible to you here.)
    ~rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip in the kale flowers. I'll keep that in mind when my plants start to bolt. Your asparagus looks so good!!! Congrats on a great harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Thomas. I have a question about growing lettuce. I have seeds of lettuce and iceberg lettuce from a good friend of mine. I know I can't sow them now as it's really hot here, but could you tell me as to when I can start them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Thomas, I wish I lived next door and could be your lucky neighbor.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip about the flowering kale, I had never heard that but it LOOKS fantastic! Great looking spears, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel - I heard that claytonia self-seeds readily so if you let it go to seed, you'll find that you have claytonia popping up in the same spot that you planted a year before. I've never saved its seeds before but will do so this year.

    Holly - thanks! I hope you do!

    Chandramouli - I find that lettuce grows fastest and best when daytime temperatures are between 65 and 85 degrees. When temps are above 80 degrees, I tend to water every day to make sure it is well hydrated. Heat stressed lettuce can taste rather awful. Also, I always start my seeds indoors and simply sprinkle them on top of some potting soil. The seeds need light to germinate and can be tricky to start outdoors especially when it's windy.

    Erin - thanks! I'd never heard of it either until the other day. It's definitely worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice harvest. Never heard about the flowering kale before.

    I live in Essex County but in New York. It is zone 4 so will be a while before I can even think of planting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kale is such a versatile plant and now it is even more so by adding the mock broccoli to the line up! I bet it was delicious. My kale rarely bolts to seed but when it does I will have to give this a try. Your asparagus harvest looks wonderful as does all of your weekly bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dwarf curly kale is starting to bolt. Maybe I'll try those flowers. I have to get out and rip them up today as that bed needs to be planted up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog. I love the pictures especially that speckled romaine!

    http://groceriesgardenanddinner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny, we did the same thing with our kale this weekend - ate the not-quite-open flower heads and found them equally delicious.

    I'm with you on the weighing thing. It's hard enough to find time to blog about what we do at mediaOrganic.com. I just don't have the drive to haul out a scale every time I harvest something. So kudos to Daphne and all the other contributors to Harvest Mondays for their perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's crazy amounts of growth for that asparagus! Something I want to try at some point! Very interesting post about the kale heads! Maybe I'll try that one someday too! It's nice to share learning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea that one could eat the mock broccoli. I might try it next year, when I've got kale. Your harvest looks colorful and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! That's what I figured... now just to figure out when/how they go to seed... lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Green perfection, Thomas. And I can hear your cells rejoicing as vitamins and minerals go dancing to them through your veins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think thy are silks! Can't possibly be real. No bug bites, or damage at all - so vibrant. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete