Friday, February 26, 2010

What's Wrong with this Picture?

after the storm
Notice anything askew in this picture? Either two of my mini hoop houses grew legs and jumped off their beds or mother nature is frowning upon me at the moment. For the past 48 hours, we've been battling torrential rain and tropical storm-force winds. Several large trees were uprooted in our neighborhood and much of our yard is still under water. My poor next-door neighbor whose house is downhill from ours got 4 inches of water inside his finished basement. Hopefully, the weather will let up soon despite what the weather man says.

My shorter 2 feet tall hoop houses seemed to ensure the high winds just fine. I wish I could say the same about my 3 feet tall hoops, which luckily are still in one piece. I'll have to install stronger hinges and a lock to prevent this from happening again. Pests, flood, flying hoop houses - I guess it's true that bad things come in 3's. Hopefully, this will be the end of it!

UPDATE (Fri. 11:00 PM): I just went into the garden to survey the damage. As some of you may know, all of my 3 x 6 feet raised beds are enclosed by 2 x 4 inch pine frames. Imagine my surprise to find that my 2 taller hoop houses were still attached to their frames. Yup, the wind had ripped the frames right out of the ground. I didn't even think that was possible!

18 comments:

  1. That's too bad. Hopefully it gets better soon and there isn't too much more damage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your winter garden looks like Tent City! I'm happy to hear your hoops weren't damaged, but are you east coasters ever going to get a break with your weather?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief! If it's not snow it's rain for you. Stay dry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ! At least the hoops are still in one piece, proves you made them strong ! And at least it wasn't your basement. (but don't tell the poor neighbor I said that !)

    Let's hope Mother Nature shows mercy this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you are getting a real lollapalooza of a storm! Hopefully the rest of your garden structures will remain in place and undamaged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a bummer Thomas :( .... what keeps me going during the rough times are knowing it's gonna get better.... It's enduring the worst of the worst and then finally....you get a break...you will get one soon I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes the elements are sure difficult to deal with. I hope your current problems get better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know the saying: post nubila phoebus (after rain, there is sun)?

    Maybe its just nature telling you that you need to build one big greenhouse? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The weatherman yesterday was showing how high the gusts got in some areas. Some hit hurricane force winds. It was pretty bad. I hope you can get it all back together without too much effort. Some times mother nature can be so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now you can see what I deal with! That's why I don't do the hoophouses anymore. We have consistent high winds in our coastal area and with the winter comes Nor'easters every couple of weeks - I have lost so much of our hard work that I don't do it anymore, I'm hoping some day for a greenhouse, plastic, not glass! Case in point yesterday, we had to put up 2 sections of our fence, again! 40-45 mph winds since Thursday! Luckily for you, this may just be a once in a great while thing, because I am jealous of you having hoops in the winter and I love to watch your harvests in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Thomas! That is absolutely amazing that the wind pulled the frames and hoops out of the ground! Gosh, I hope this is the end of bad things happening to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's amazing Thomas - pulled out with the frames! Glad they are still in one piece.
    Mother Nature has a cruel sense of humor sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, you've really been put through the wringer! I guess you could be grateful that the wind didn't sail your hoophouses half way across town. It's really difficult, but I try to remind myself that I garden for the enjoyment of it and I'm always grateful that I can always fill in the gaps at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopefully that is the end of it, we are under snow here. 18 inches in the last 3 days and its still coming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, fortunately the hoops are not damaged, hopefully it dries out this weekend and you can get them repair soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is some nasty weather! On the bright side it looks like the snow is gone. That is pretty crazy that the wind took the frame and all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hang in there, my friend....

    we turn the calendar tomorrow

    :-)

    kary

    ReplyDelete