Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Homemade Slug Control

buried slug trap
This weekend, I finally decided to do something about the slugs in my garden. Luckily, they only seem to be active in one of my mini hoop houses right now and the damage doesn't appear to be too severe. Earlier in the week, I tried to get some Sluggo from a local garden center but unfortunately, like most stores this time of year, they were completely out. So I decided to go with the traditional home remedy - a beer trap.

making a slug trap
Constructing the trap was simple enough. I just cut three holes around the top of a large plastic yogurt container and filled it with beer. I found a spot for it in the affected bed, buried it to the level of the holes and replaced the lid.

buried slug trap 2
Slugs are drawn to the scent of stale beer. The idea is for them to crawl into the container and drown. Not a bad way to perish for a slug (and more than what they deserve if you ask me). Now it's just a matter of waiting to see whether or not it actually works.

11 comments:

  1. I hope your trap works. I never had slug problems, but if I will, here is a solution.
    Spinach looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas,

    I hope your not using good beer for this? I read recently that oatmeal works to. you spread it in the garden and they eat it, it expands inside them and kills them. Not tried it it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vrtlarica- you're very lucky.

    Randy- Unfortunately, I did...though I chugged what was left in the bottle. HA! I hadn't heard that about oatmeal, but will definitely give it a try. Oatmeal we have plenty of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another homemade remedy is bran. Supposedly they love it and it kills them. I haven't tried it yet. Next year I'm thinking of comparing a couple of different kinds of remedies. The slugs were just so bad the last couple of years. BTW I hope your trap works. I've never had it work well for me. It catches slugs just fine, but it doesn't seem to prevent damage for me. I'm wondering if it just attracts them from elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slugs are a constant presence in the coastal pacific northwest - they are prolific and get huge. I have lots of slug management techniques and the most effective one is to regularly hand pick and destroy them. Other methods work too but that is the most efficient and economical method there is.

    Last May I did a whole blog post devoted to the topic of slug management. You might want to check it out for more ideas on how to manage these crazy pests.

    http://www.modernvictorygarden.com/apps/blog/show/999290-slug-management

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep us posted on the slug pub :-) I can't wait to see them inside...eugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We need a drunk slug count ticker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see if it worked. Well, I don't really want to SEE...but you know what I mean! I had the worst time with earwigs this past summer...finally landed on diatomaceous earth and it did the trick! Good stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! I love this set up and will have to add it to my tomato patch next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beer is a popular method. Having not tried it myself, I'm eager to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank goodness that's one pest problem I don't have!

    ReplyDelete