Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sowing Seed

Seed Starting Kit
A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a seed starting kit from Johnny's Selected Seed. It came with 4 cell trays of varying sizes, 1 20 row seed flat, a clear acrylic dome and 5 leak-proof trays. The cell trays and dome are a bit flimsy but the leak-proof trays are sturdy enough. Overall, not bad for the price. Also, I was really impressed by the delivery time. I placed my order Sunday night and received my package the following Tuesday. I will definitely be ordering from Johnny's again. I have my eye on the 6 row seeder (not really practical for the home garden, but the look of ultra-neatly planted rows of salad greens and carrots is so appealing!) and broadfork. I think my next purchase will be some hardy winter greens like mache, claytonia and spinach.

Seeded trays
The other day, I started seeding some beans, zucchini, broccoli and beets in order to get a head start on the new garden. However, after reading other local gardening blogs, I feel as though I should have done this earlier. Oh well, we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope that we get to harvest some of these veggies this year. At worst, it will be a learning experience. (Note to self: I better reread some of Eliot Coleman's season extending ideas.)

Gardening blog 015
I think I may start the peas and asian greens tomorrow as well. I've read that peas don't transplant well but I'm willing to take the risk in order to better insure a harvest. I'll direct sow the carrots, more beets, more asian greens, and the rest of the peas when we get the garden dug. Heck, with the way the weather's been, I may consider getting a head start on the salad greens.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Thomas,
    I have an allotment in Sotland and was taking a quick nosy around your blog and what you are growing. It really made me smile, looking at you neat handwriting on the plant label sticks. Ah I was once like that, but no more.

    ReplyDelete