Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Around the April Garden

I thought I'd give a quick update on what's happening in and around the garden right now. In no particular order:

spring greens 2
Now that the weather has warmed up a bit, the spring greens are growing rather quickly.

Asian greens
I will begin harvesting the Shanghai bok choy (right) in a couple days. Personally, I like my Asian greens on the smaller/younger side. The tatsoi (middle) will require another week or two.

spring greens
I can now harvest some spinach leaves as well (right). The variety I'm growing this spring is "Regiment" and I have to say, I like it much better than "Space". I'm growing several varieties of lettuce this spring. Winter Density (middle) is growing particularly fast.

radish seedlings
The French Breakfast radishes are up. Unlike carrots and beans, radishes always seem to germinate well in our garden.

wild strawberry plants
My red and yellow wonder strawberries are leafing up fast. The first flowers don't seem too far behind. I have a second bed with three times as many plants, which will need to be located to another part of the garden. I'm hoping to use them as a mini hedge around my garden fence to keep the weeds down.

pea sprouts
My snow and shell peas are up. I was really happy that germination was close to 100%. These will have to be thinned. The shoots are really tasty in salads or stir-fried.

Speckled Romaine Lettuce
Another photo of my speckled romaine lettuce.

DSC_0017
It didn't take very long time for last year's thyme and sage to bounce back.

Fava Bean Seedling
After a very long wait, the fava beans are up. I'm growing three varieties this year. I decided to hedge my bets and start additional seeds indoors. Germination ended up being around 90% so I transplanted my excess seedlings in another bed. We have about 80 fava bean plants - 10 times as many as last year, which is fine by me since they are one of our favorite veggies.

DSC_0071
I also planted some red onion sets this weekend. Is it awful that I don't feel bad about not starting them from seed this year?

DSC_0003
Finally, I harvested my first Jersey Supreme asparagus spears today! They sort of sneaked up on me as the shoots were tiny this past weekend. Luckily, I made a point to check on them again today. I would hate to have missed out on this first crop. Oh, and boy were they delicious simply steamed with a bit of butter. I'd never eaten asparagus that was cooked within minutes of being picked. I don't think you can find anything as sweet or tender at the supermarket.

27 comments:

  1. Heavens above, it looks beautiful.

    I quit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING tastes as good as veggies picked from your own garden, cooked and eaten...no fancy sauces or complicated recipes. Yum! I planted two types of aspargus this year and I am will have to wait a couple of seasons before I can match your success! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so good! Your garden doing wonderful. I will have to try that beautiful romaine in fall. They are simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems I always say the same thing when I see your garden....LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! A lots is happening out there. I've always admired you for growing great veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the garden. It looks wonderful!! So jealous of the asparagus. I'll bet they're yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks wonderful Thomas! I am also very happy about not growing any onions from seed this year!

    Our newly planted asparagus beds are popping up...can't wait until next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful green growing in your garden. The excess rain seems to be good for asparagus. Don't feel bad about your onions. I grew onions from seed and also planted red baron onion sets. I have heard that onions grown from sets may not store as long, so we consume those first.

    I guess it is time to give up on my Thyme returning this year. Seeing yours all nice and green made me realize that mine is not coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such nice neat beds and what a variety.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like we are growing many of the same greens, but darn! You just reminded me I forgot to plant the "Choys"! That asparagus looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fresh asparagus is the best. We prefer it sauteed with a little butter, salt and a squeeze of fresh lemon.

    I am so freakin' jealous of your greens. I was stupid and direct sowed mine. You are now harvesting while I am still waiting...impatiently. I won't be harvesting for weeks yet.

    http://www.media-organic.com/garden-week-in-review-3

    On the brighter side, I may begin harvesting radishes soon, if the ants don't get them all first.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I almost missed my first asparagus as well, I gave up on checking in daily after a week of nothing. Weird Spring so far, but your garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep forgetting that you had a hoop house to get a head start :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is looking great. I can't wait for next year and the first picking of asparagus - and the spring strawberries too. At least they are in and growing now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your garden has absolutely galloped along with incredible growth in such a short time. Lovely photos..must use straw more this year and yes to the asparagus, nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thomas, your garden is beautiful. I just love that speckled romaine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is one beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your garden is always so organized and beautiful! Almost too pretty to harvest - almost!

    Congratulations on the first asparagus harvest - I miss my beautiful bed that I had in central Washington. Unfortunately they don't seem to be happy here on this homestead location and I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww.. I wish we can grow asparagus here too...Those are beautiful. All your veggies look very green and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is the flavor of Regiment better than Space, is that why you like it better this Spring? I grew mostly Space last year, but this year along with Space I'm trying Regiment and a few others.

    ReplyDelete
  21. elizabeth - I've only tasted it raw and it seems perfectly fine to me. Already, it seems to be growing better than Space in my garden. It is just as cold hardy and the leaves are "prettier" for lack of a better word.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love how tidy and organized your garden is. It looks far too lovely to harvest. I can't wait to pick asparagus next year. I planted some last year, but far too few, so I may get a harvest of a few spears at a time. But the boys will gobble them up before we can cook them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I grew speckled romaine last year, loved it so much! I would grow it again if we didn't get so many greens in our co-op basket. I love how the garden looks covered in rain drops...

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a AMAZING garden...it puts mine to shame lol!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your garden is looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. After reading more I see you do have loads more, and I agree you can never grow too many.

    A bit confused that you've got straw on your path but none around your strawberries.

    ReplyDelete