Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chyrsanthemum Tea Flowers - Ju Hua

Chrysanthemum tea flowers 3
This morning, I looked out of our kitchen window and noticed a peculiar patch of white in the back garden. I went out to investigate and noticed that my chrysanthemum tea plants were flowering. With this year's fall growing season coming to an end, I had all but forgotten about them.

Chrysanthemum Tea Blossoms
Those of you who've been reading my blog for a while now will remember that earlier this year, I was cursing these plants. After years of searching, I was able to order four cuttings from an online nursery last February. Unbeknownst to me, they were infested with green aphids, which soon spread to the rest of my spring starts. I was at my wits' end trying to manage the outbreak. It was experience I would never want to wish upon another gardener.

Chrysanthemum tea flowers 4
I will admit that seeing these flowers helped to ease some of the bad blood between me and these plants. Then again, I can appreciate anything that blooms this late in the year.

Chrysanthemum tea flowers
While harvesting the flowers to dry into tea, I was struck by the intense fragrance of the blossoms. Hopefully the end result will smell just as good.

10 comments:

  1. Do post how you are going to dry the flowers and how the tea tastes once you are able to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it is untouch of any aphid attack. The flowers are so cute. I like chrysanthemum tea so much. You just gave me an idea maybe I will have a go at growing them as wel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tea, hope yours turns out delicious. Happy Thanksgiving to you Thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have grown into beautiful plants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..and such perfect beautiful blooms as well. Very nice...what a gift from the garden this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful flowers! I hope you will enjoy the tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the aphids...but happy about the blossoms!! I remember your search for these flowers...so exciting that you grew your own tea! I hope it tastes wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They have a nice little flower! I hear you on the bugs! I am battling aphids, spider mites & white fly under my light. I'm on a twice monthly spray with oil & soap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you get the cuttings... or do you know of a seed provider? Can't seem to find much on-line...is there some kind of USDA restriction on importing the morifolium hybrid or the indicum?

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are so cheery!
    I just got my first plants from the Farmers Market - l looking forward to having it in my garden!

    ReplyDelete